Feb 3, 2009

Sandra Backlund: Genius, Me: Inspired

So, last night I had my crochet class. I am already brainstorming about some sculptural ideas – with knitting and crocheting – there are a lot of possibilites. The class was in the middle of a gigantic craft store and people were watching the whole time. I was hangin’ out with the moms. It’s was great, but those aren’t the possibilities I am referring to…

Before I left my class last night, I picked up a magazine called “VOGUEKnitting.” I expected to see some Christmas sweaters, granny squares, etc. Quite the opposite. I randomly opened the page to one of the most genius fashion designers I have ever seen.

Her name is Sandra Backlund - from Sweden. Here’s some of her work.

Perfect Hurts Collection
“My work is very personal to me. I improvise and allow myself to lose control and see what happens if I do not think so much about the practical things. I am interested in almost every traditional handicraft method. I do experiment a lot with different materials and techniques, but it is through my heavy wool collage knitting that I have found the ultimate way to express myself.”

-Sandra Backlund

Last Breath Bruises Collection

Blank Page Collection

No comments: