Mar 16, 2009

Arizona & An Odd Conversation

mystery flower, photo by moi

Went to AZ this weekend...

I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and went to the beach on many weekends. I rode my bike through muddy puddles in the hills and dug for wet salamanders under my house (Ya... gross. I didn't care because I have always been maternal and I wanted to give them a loving home in my dry house where they would shrivel up and die.)

Arizona is the opposite of CA in many ways. It is a dry desert. Enough said. I never realized how much I relied on geographic landscapes to navigate my way through a city until there was... no landscape. But this is not my point. My point is that I am fascinated with the flowers that can survive in the Arizona heat. This flower is actually a lone flower growing out of what looks like an agave root (spiky bush) - I can't find the name of it. It was barely opaque in some part which allowed the yellow and pink to mix into a coral. I love it.

This might be my most uninteresting post yet. But sometimes... I think hard about things that people may find boring. Something interesting... My flight got delayed last night on the way home in LA and I got to over hear an interesting conversation. This one lady was manipulating a woman who had just joined her company. She was trying to get the "newbie" to say bad things about her first week at work. So - there's the "big shot" and the poor "newbie." The big shot proceeded to tell the newbie that she was trustworthy and the newbie could tell her anything she didn't like about her first week. The newbie was terrified and fell into the trap. It was like a mouse and cheese. All the sudden the big shot got mad and asked her why she was saying this and that they only just met! The big shot couldn't believe that the newbie would actually trust her and that she should keep her mouth shut. It was a really weird experience. If there is any lesson learned from this - do not trust too many people. When someone says, "You can trust me," I find that sort of weird. Trust is more of an instinctual thing. But... who the heck knows. I just graduated college and am learning how cut throat the real world can be. Hold on partner!

I bought a great book last night with foreword by the Dali Lama and written by Piero Ferrucci called the power of kindness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If one lives with lovingkindness, is observant, you can sort of have fun in the "real" world. Then you may not fall for the scenario with Iago, as this poor, trapped newbie did.
Don't panic!!