Jan 20, 2009

Artists Agree to Disagree

My experience as an art major taught me how to dissect an argument and weigh all viewpoints fairly. It is a very healthy experience to learn how to debate among your peers. There were often many strong personalities in one room and everyone would give their two cents, but it was more of an activity than a competition (from what I remember.)

I guess that is my favorite thing about art. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and it makes it sort of beautiful. I enjoy the fact that there are people who probably hate some of my favorite artists such as Tracy Emin and Ann Hamilton. My opinions of different art pieces have helped me develop my own aesthetic style.

Now that I am graduated, I have noticed that this harmonious existence does not always exist in the working world. People forget that others' opinions do not determine the quality of their self. So (freakin') what if someone feels differently than you? Most of time, it is something petty.

Practice this with me? Highly value your own opinion while simultaneously keeping an open mind to others. You would not be unique without the other end of the spectrum.

No comments: