Jan 18, 2009

Drew Lightfoot's Heavy Influence

Clip from American Escape, Adobe Illustrator, May.2008

I am a fan of Guster. One day last year I was surfing Guster music videos and one of still frame caught my eye - it was a yellow blob wearing a tie. This still frame would soon become the inspiration for most of my body of work so far. Music video: One Man Wrecking Machine. Director/Artist: Drew Lightfoot. I had an extreme epiphany while watching this video in the computer lab on my headphones: Odd, quirky, weird, cool, rad, clever, and crafty handmade objects were considered "cool." Literally, the next day I went to the local arts and crafts store, bought a sewing machine, and started creating. Not only do I enjoy creative and quirky ideas, but I enjoyed that fact that I was sculpting with felt. Felt it very malleable in its own way. You can shift it, shape it, stitch it, sculpt it(sing to the tune of Technologic by Daft Punk.) The product of felt work is soft sculpture - something that has grown very close to my art heart.
At some point, I started sewing these little felt squares. That sounds exhilarating. I need to spice this up somehow. I created a line of plush toys for girls last year, and I had this reoccurring shape of rounded squares. Today, I thought, "I want to show it to someone who actually took the time to read my blog." I liked the color of my dads antique blue armchair and set them up for an exclusive photo shoot. Then, I laughed. I had created miniature pillows. As I was prepping them for their 15 minutes of fame, I realized it simulated making my bed. My mother was an interior designer so I've always had a glamorous house. So it happened. Somewhere along the line, I turned into my mother... only I am now creating miniature pillows. But, I think I have a solution: Plush candellabra mobiles. I'll have it done by the end of the week.

Favorite Song of the Month: White Houses by Vanessa Carlton

No comments: