Jan 26, 2009

Peacocks Rule!

I like peacocks. A lot. I actually really like birds. Sometimes I get upset because birds are "in" right now at Anthropologie. Everyone wants that cute little bird pattern. But I actually like birds. I like the way they jump around and cock their heads. I like the way they fly into my sliding glass door (jk it makes me cry actually.) Peacocks are actually really vicious. I went to this organic farm in Half Moon Bay and they have an exotic bird zoo-type-thing. I fed them carrots and they almost chomped on my fingers. All their body weight went into their bite.

So... I guess I don't actually like peacocks, but I respect them because of their beauty. I always get excited about the bright neon and iridescent colors in nature. Usually the patterns are even better. I have been incorporating a lot of bird patterns into my felting lately. Above is an exercise I did to explore peacock patterns. Peacock feathers are universally recognized. Maybe NBC helped with that.... who knows.

Anyway, I am playing around with feather spreads and how it looks in a softer version communicated through stitching and felting. By the way, felting can be very dangerous. I am pretty sure I accidentally stabbed my finger bone with a needle last night. Sort of like cleaning your gun... Don't watch TV while doing it.

Song of the day: Waking Dream by Natalie Walker

I sing her songs in the elevator from floor 1 to 21 and 21 to 1 every day. My little American Idol tryout if you will.

No comments: