Jan 27, 2009

Yarn is Much More Than... Yarn

String is... bootiful. 

That's probably not the best intro, is it? My 6th grade english teacher would be ashamed of me. I'm not really sure how to communicate the adventures that lie in a skein (a ball, basically) of yarn. 

This picture might do the trick. I took it at a yarn specialty store up in the mountains in Quincy, Ca. It's not as much about the string as it is looking at it collectively. One color - boring. Ten colors - cool. Tags - cool. Diagonal shelves - cool. Me writing "-cool" - cool. From those beautiful blobs of yarn could arise a headband or wall art or a blanket.

It is really important for me to get excited about my materials. I spend as much time organizing and arranging as I do working. That is probably not efficient, but I love my materials. I like the soft bundles of yarn and the needles that stab my bones when I am watching TV. If there is any point to this I guess it is: Connecting with your materials/media will communicate visually in the end. It is obvious when an artist chose a media they felt passionate about it vs. choosing it because it's "cool."

Have you seen the movie the Science of Sleep directed my Michel Gaundry? I am going to watch it in bed right now for inspiration. It's beautifully weird and quirky and weird. I love the way Stephane cannot distinguish between reality and his dreams. Plus, I'm obsessed with France even though I've never been there. In the end, is there a difference between reality and dreams? 

Tomorrow I think I will write about French art.

No comments: