Feb 6, 2009

Coraline: My Future

I have been counting the days left until the “Coraline”(in 3D) release since October. I discovered Coraline while researching my obession(or, one of them) - stop motion animation. Every figure in this movie has, for the most part, been created and minipulated by hand. Every millisecond of movement in the film is created with still images. 52 frames per second. Think about it.

The craftsmanship is so intensely loaded with talent and precision. The cherry blossoms on the trees are made out of popcorn. The movement is realistic yet unbelievable. In 3D… I’ll be like a blind person seeing for the first time.

Coraline is written by Neil Gaiman who worked with director Henry Selick (Nightmare Before Christmas, James and the Giant Peach, etc.) who has worked with Tim Burton who has worked with Drew Lightfoot who has worked with Guster who's CD is in my car.Coraline was filmed/created by LAIKA in Portland, Oregon.

Portland, Oregon – an idea of the future I hold close to my heart.

Just to press the point, this is another rebellion against technology(in some ways.) Everything is handmade. Yes, the software and cameras to compile and sync all of the images - technologically advanced. BUT, the objects on the set are all born out of the crafts or “DIY” (Do It Yourself) movement. Disney is currently working on a stop-motion animation film called “The Princess and the Frog.” I’m sure it will be mindblowing, but I am looking forward to the twisted darkness from the creators of Coraline.

Go see it. NOW. I am seeing it tonight. I will definitely let you know my thoughts.

No comments: