Feb 9, 2009

Me Love Amigurumi

I am officially obsessed with the art of crochet and I am seriously glad that I took the beginners crochet class because I needed to learn how to read patterns and navigate my way through mistakes.

One absolutely amazing thing about crochet is that you can mold figures one stitch at a time. This is harder with knitting because you are always working in whole rows and one mistake can ruin the uniformity of the design if you don’t properly “un-do.”

Plus, crochet is quickly rewarding - especially if using big needles. I need to feel rewarded when working. I am not patient. I know this. Impatience can be a crippling or productive trait – depending on the situation and emotions I decide to project that day. I believe emotional roller coasters can be a blessing in disguise because all emotion can be turned into intense positive energy with effort(I understand exceptions… like the day I need an exorcist.)
Anyway! This is what I wanted to show you. Amigurumi. The Japanese art of crocheting or knitting stuffed figures. These figures are typically animals but can also be inanimate objects as well – as long as they are cute. They are similar to forms in Japanese animation – which explains the typically distorted proportions. Distorted proportions are “cute” because they signify that the object is disabled, therefore we feel sympathy for it because it has a slimmer chance of survival in its own. Babies have big heads and big eyes with little arms and legs. They are helpless. They are cute. Take a look at your stuffed animal or doll. It’s so true.
Anyway – I’m lovin’ amigurumi. Tonight I am working on this puppy. but he/she will be made of bubble gum pop electric colors. Is that weird if I give it a sideways cap? I think it could be cute… for reasons other than cute disproportion.
Check it out:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who could not be happy after seeing this post? Terrific!