Apr 6, 2009

Putting My Bird Obsession to Good Use

Northern Cardinal
American White Pelican
Golden-Crowned Kinglet
Herring Gull

This is what I have been drawing lately. I have five more birds at this point. But... it's bed time and I shouldn't be scanning at this hour. Anyway, I love them. I friggin' LOVE birds. 

I was sitting with my dog in my backyard yesterday and I was bird watching. I have this really cheap pair of binoculars that don't do anything, but they make me feel like a bird guru. There was the loudest Blue Jay that was tossing seeds everywhere. My dog was chasing them all over the yard. Hilarious. Back to the topic - my entire book will be based on adventures with binoculars. Binoculars(a great word) are an essential tool in enjoying the details of nature. Each page of the book will be a different adventure. Birds, beach birds, shells, bugs, flowers, plants, fruit, veggies, critters, dogs, reptiles, squirrels, bears, etc. Very animal-loving-hippie-fun-adventurous-silly-cool.

As you can tell the "nature" isn't exactly Yellowstone material. It is more the appreciation of nature that tends to be in the backyard. What do you think of the watercolor? My scanner stinks, but I think you get the idea. 

Toodles. 
Kristina.


4 comments:

Jamie said...

They look so good scanned! Love the birds

Unknown said...

These are great Kristina! I think you need to start illustrating for authors too. Or doing your own children's book with all your nature paintings. These are really good , you're a natural watercolorist!! Susie

Ryan said...

I watched you do a couple of them... and they turned out Great!

Delilah + Jack said...

The cardinal is the best!!! Beautiful artwork!