Feb 13, 2009

Pink and Purple Spaces

If you haven't seen the United States of Tara on Showtime, it's a must. Here you go.
Well, that was definitely my "first" arigurumi. My second was much better. I would like to finish two more this weekend - different colors: cream white and aqua. Pinky didn't have any contrast and it's really bothering me.

Design by Kirsten Brant

This space was created by interior designer Kirsten Brant. She designs Showtime series sets. Pretty amazing space - monochromatic color schemes can be to ooverwhelming if done without skill and experience. I think it works because the eye can rest in the white focus points.

The past couple days I have been browsing design and fashion sites to stay in touch with the trends. I've never been an avid researcher. I never liked the way that other people's work came to mind when I was trying to think of my own ideas. That sounds ignorant, but I am a visual person and the images and ideas of other artists tend to get in the way of my own. Sort of stifling sometimes. Not that I don't love seeing other art!

I think that my style is more established at this point. Lately, I have become very interested in others' ideas. It is important for me to know what is in demand. I went to the site of ELLE Magazine. Elle's featured fashions always has tons of color. I have been reading every issue for the past five years. I also read ELLE Decor, which is equally stunning. I referred to a lot of designs in ELLE Decor when creating the space for my senior project.

Design by Anne Coyle

I came across this Chicago-based interior designer, Anne Coyle. The pieces are very traditional in space and form, but her doses of color are very "pop." I don't have my own place yet, but I do dream of bright colors and vintage pieces and natural light and tons of books and flowers. I dream of a huge garden one day, but I don't know how realistic that is since I hate spiders. My mom is an interior designer. She creates these absolutely ridiculous, amazing, and glamorous spaces for high end homes. I grew up with an apprecitation and I am very particular about my surroundings. It might annoy people at times, but it's worth it.

No comments: