Feb 11, 2009

Pinky: My First Amigurumi (& ELECTRICWIG)

Pinky by KrissyKristina
10 in x 5 in, yarn/buttons/stuffing, crochet, 2.10.09
This is Pinky. She is in progress... hence the absence of legs and a mouth. I don't know if I will give her a mouth, though. I enjoy missing features. Too much given expression in a creature often does not leave enough room for the imagination. It's just not always needed.

This project was a test run. If I work hard, I can make one amigurumi figure in two days - which means I can make about three in one work week. The weekend will need to be open for buying supplies and working on my other products.

Do you like Pinky? (...even though she's not yet finished?)

So, I also found another artist couple that is pretty cool: ELECTRICWIG. They are French but they now reside in Ireland - they've been all over the place. Their work is very organic, handmade, and sustainable. A lot of pieces comment on energy conservation. Most of all, I enjoy the feeling of this work. It is not pretentious and I feel they are not trying to win over their audience - but they do anyway. Here is some of their stuff.
DesignersBlock by ELECTRICWIG
"One hundered of ELECTRICWIG's first product, 'Key Pot', were exhibited at the Jam Factory for Designers Block in 2001."
Keeping Warm by ELECTRICWIG
"The Environment Agency was noted for encouraging its staff to wear thermal underwear in order to lower energy usage. A range of products and suggestions around this logical approach to help you stay sustainably warm this winter. Exhibited at 100% Design 2005."

No comments: